ABMA's vision is to be the premier national association and voice of the American bearing industry.
ABMA's mission is to provide leadership, advocacy and education with a focus on membership value, industry outreach and issues impacting the global bearing industry.
ABMA began in 1917 as an informal committee to aid production of bearings during World War I. The committee consisted of Andrew Company, New Departure, Nice, Federal, Fafnir, SKF, Norma, BCA, Marlin Rockwell and Atlas Ball. In 1933, articles of association were established for Anti-Friction Bearing Manufacturers Association (AFBMA).
What are bearings?
Bearings are a major component for all moving parts making bearings a critical part of our everyday lives. Bearings reduce friction enabling smooth acceleration in automobiles, quiet running ceiling fans, accurate microscopes and effective dental drills. Improvements in anti-friction bearings have played a significant role in the enhanced mobility of society in the last century.
The bearing industry dates back to the late 19th century and grew rapidly at the turn of the 20th century with the mass production of the automobile. Today's bearing industry is global with production in over 70 countries on five continents with the United States industry continuing to play a key role.
The bearing industry supplies critical components to the following industries:
- Medical Instruments
- Machine Tools
The technology in today's bearings continues to exceed the dreams of the early industry pioneers and tomorrow's bearings will be critical to technological advancements in the manufacturing sector.
The association is managed by the Board of Directors. Members also serve on five standing committees. A full-time staff of professionals is headquartered in Washington, DC to support the Association's activities.
- Chair, Brian Lindsay, NSK Americas
- Vice Chair, Jim Porter, Emerson Industrial Automation
- Treasurer, Chris Coughlin, Timken
- Past Chair, Pete Eich, NTN Bearing Corporation
- President, Cheryl Caulfield, Staff
2014-2015 Board of Directors:
- Rich Holder, President, NN, Inc.
- Pete Eich, President, NTN Bearing Corporation
- Robert Komasara, Director-Business Operations, Nachi America
- Jim Porter, Vice President-Engineering, Emerson Industrial Automation
- Paul Beargie, Director-Corporate Operations, Koyo Corporation
- Tony Richey (Associate Council Representative), General Manager, Specialty Steel Treating
- Gary Yomantas, President, New Hampshire Ball Bearings
- Ben Succop, President, American Roller Bearing Company
- Craig Bond, President, Abbot Ball Company
- Poul Jeppesen, President and CEO, SKF USA, Inc.
- Dwight DePeau, President and CEP, Standard Locknut LLC
- Bruce Warmbold, President, The Schaeffler Group
- Chris Coughlin, President-Process Industries, The Timken Company
- Brian Lindsay, CEO, NSK Americas
- Robert Nemecek, Vice President, Baldor Dodge